Lifeguard Training Classes
Now To Register!
Show the World What You Are Made Of.
Become a Lifeguard Today!
In the Lifeguard Training course you will learn:
- The duties and responsibilities of a lifeguard
- How to carry them out in a professional manner
- Lifeguarding techniques such as surveillance
- How to use rescue equipment for a distressed swimmer, active drowning victim, and a passive drowning victim
- How to care for someone who may have a head, neck, or back injury.
Here’s your chance to build your résumé and show the world what you can do:
Prepare for college and a career by developing leadership and communication skills
Be a hero by learning lifesaving skills such as first aid and CPR
Have fun and earn money at a job you love!
2017 Course Schedule
- Jan 11, Wed: 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Jan 19, Thurs: 4 pm – 8:30 pm
- Jan 20, Thurs: 4 pm – 8:30 pm
- Jan 21, Sat: 9 am – 5 pm
- Jan 22, Sun: 11 am – 6 pm
- Feb 15, Wed: 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Feb 23, Thurs: 4 pm – 8:30 pm
- Feb 24, Fri: 4 pm – 8:30 pm
- Feb 25, Sat: 9 am – 5 pm
- Feb 26, Sun:11 am – 6 pm
- March 8, Wed: 7 pm – 9 pm
- March 16, Thurs: 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- March 17, Fri: 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- March 18, Sat: 9 am – 5 pm
- March 19, Sun: 11 am – 6 pm
- April 19, Wed: 7 pm – 9 pm
- April 27, Thurs: 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- April 28, Fri: 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- April 29, Sat: 9 am – 5 pm
- April 30, Sun: 11 am – 6 pm
- May 3, Wed: 7 pm – 9 pm
- May 11, Thurs: 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- May 12, Fri: 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- May 13, Sat: 9 am – 5 pm
- May 14, Sun: 11 am – 6 pm
Note that WEDNESDAY, the first day of class starts the week prior to remaining dates.
All classes are held at the Severna Park Community Center (formerly known as SPY) 623 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd, Severna Park, MD 21146
In the Lifeguard Training course, you will learn about the duties and responsibilities of a lifeguard and how to carry them out in a professional manner. You will also learn a number of lifeguarding techniques, such as surveillance; how to use rescue equipment for a distressed swimmer, active drowning victim, and a passive drowning victim; and how to care for someone who may have a head, neck, or back injury.
Successful completion of the course requires participation in classroom and skill sessions, as well as successful performance in skill and knowledge evaluations. Due to the nature of the skills in this course, you will be participating in strenuous activities, such as performing CPR and removing someone from the water. If you have a medical condition or disability or if you have any questions about your ability to participate fully in this course, discuss them with your physician or heath care provider and your American Red Cross instructor.
You MUST be 15 years of age by the beginning of the first class and pass a pre-course swimming skills test.
- • Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Class Registration, Instruction, and Certificates…………………… $205.00
Materials (Book & CPR Mask)………………………………………. $45.00
(Make Check payable to Anchor Aquatics, Inc.) Total:……… $250.00
Upon successfully completing this American Red Course Lifeguarding Course you will receive CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, and Lifeguard Training certifications (all valid for 2 years). Participants must be 16 years of age and obtain a license from the Anne Arundel County Department of Health in order to work in Anne Arundel County.
Call For An Application!